"Fire is motion / Work is repetition / This is my document / We are all all we've done / We are all all we've done / We are all all we've done / We are all all defenses."

- Cap'N Jazz, "Oh Messy Life," Analphabetapolothology

Saturday, April 28, 2007

radicles

"In botany, the radicle is the first part of a seedling (a growing plant embryo) to emerge from the seed..." [wikipedia]

---

hello dear friends,

so these past two weeks have been downright hellish. but, i can say i survived, despite expectations to the contrary. and if i do say so myself, i'm a little stronger for it.

but alas, finals week has just begun. (yes, that other stuff was just the first circle of hell)

i realized i have not one, but THREE finals on Monday, including 2 papers and 2 presentations/ projects. + much other fretting to be done b4 the summer can begin (including summer research project planning, the US Social Forum planning for SFS, and deciding whether i am brave enuf to shave my head or not...)

also, i am starting up a reading group for Students for Staff, so we may all become more informed and conscientious practitioners and agents of social change. planning a reading list is kinda like drafting a syllabus, and it's been fun to play teacher, but designing a web platform for the group has been a little less than fun, even tho i am usually one to take kindly to web design and blogging.

what i have so far:
(on Blogger)

(on WordPress)

i preferred the Blogger one until this afternoon, when i discovered that i can post pdf's and doc's on Wordpress = chapters from my senior thesis and research articles!!

what do others think?

---

in other news, i took a much-needed break from the grindstone and spent some time outside at Western's annual Spring Fling. it's always been my favorite week of events, and i especially love the Western Games.

this year, i ran the 3-legged race with the interim assistant dean (we came in 3rd this time. last year, my prof and i totally smoked the competition!), then partook of a drum circle!



dscn0276.mov
that was my favorite part of the whole day. i've always wanted to play the drums, but have never had the chance until now. i love percussion. i always tap my feet or create crazy rhythms on my legs when i'm nervous and need something to do with my hands.

(that is the look of some intense concentration...)

one of the drum guys, Pete, is a German prof at Miami and invited me to join their multi-generational drum troupe. i'm quite excited! i think i'm going to buy some bongos over the summer...

beats!
-stephan!e

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, you know that I like Wordpress.

Good luck on all your finals.

Rae Jin Devine said...

I'm so sad I missed it...