"Fire is motion / Work is repetition / This is my document / We are all all we've done / We are all all we've done / We are all all we've done / We are all all defenses."

- Cap'N Jazz, "Oh Messy Life," Analphabetapolothology

Saturday, June 21, 2008

hello from LA!

(wish you were here!!)

Dear friends,

I am writing with pleasant tidings from the City of Angels after a whirlwind first day of workshops at the Teach for America Induction. Hello!

The first day has been hectic and unconscionably long, and the remainder of the summer promises to continue in similar fashion. I've been rapidly learning TFA-specific acronyms and lingo (it's basically another language!), and acclimating myself to walking around this gigantic campus in heels (the last of the inadequacies I'd expected to have to account for...) Haha, needless to say, there is much to learn!

Nevertheless, I'm enjoying meeting the people here and getting closer and closer to being in the classroom. I'm happy to say that I will be interviewing for my placement on Monday, and, to my surprise, I will NOT be teaching in Compton. Yeah, I guess I really dodged a bullet there (haha...). I received contact today from the principal of John Muir Middle School, which, if my Google-ing is correct, seems to be this fine institution. So, I'm extremely excited, even though I still haven't a clue how I will handle a special ed classroom. But, I think I am up for the challenge.

Anyway, if you would like to continue to receive brief and occasional updates, let me know, I would be happy to keep you updated (if time allows).

For the next 6 weeks, my address will be:
Stephanie J. Lee
Rains 204
Conference & Event Service MS 8150
Loyola Marymont University
One LMU Drive
Los Angeles, CA 90045

If you ever find yourself in LA, be sure to call me and we will enjoy that famous LA smoggy sunset.

With love,
stephanie

No comments: